Thank you all for serving

PDF FORM: November 2018

1-877-AA-OF-NEB (1-877-226-3632)

November 2018

Please put your group # on the check memo line so you receive credit!

District 23
PO Box 27783
Ralston, NE 68127-0783
c/o Kathy G.
Area 41 Treasurer
Nick K.
16758 Arcadia
Omaha, NE 68116

Central Office

4901 Dodge St
Omaha, NE 68132
General Service Office
Box 459
Grand Central Station
New York, NY 10163



7:00 p.m.
Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church
3314 So. 44th Ave
Parking on west side of building

6:00 p.m. NEW TIME- – Chili Feed
Trinity Methodist Church & Community Center 8009 Q St Ralston

November 11, 2018
December 9, 2018

December 24-30

AREA 41 2018
No more this year. Stay tuned for updates!

Yours in Service

DCM Warren W. 402-990-8586
Alt. DCM Cliff V. 402-659-5466
Secretary Janine J. 402-677-4978
Treasurer Kathy G. 402-689-7734
Newsletter Marilyn C. 402-690-0448
Central Office OPEN OPEN
Archives Craig 402-507-1859
Events Lori B. and Kyle K. 402-616-0111
CPC/PI Michele B.
Institutions/BTG Jim R. 402-669-0290
Grapevine Greg B. 402-740-3088
Hotline Judd D. 402-659-0253
Webmaster Geri S. D23NE.org
Mini-Workshop: Kathy O’K 402-709-7518

Liaison Nov

November the 11th Month

Step 11.  Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Meditation and prayer main channels to Higher Power.  Connection between self-examination and prayer. Any unshakable foundation for life.  How shall we meditate?  Meditation has no boundaries.  An individual adventure. What about prayer? Daily petitions for understanding of God’s will and grace to carry it out.  Actual results of prayer are beyond question. First result is emotional balance.  The excerpts from Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions pages 8 are reprinted with permission of A.A. World Services, Inc.


  1. Has your thoughts of a God/Higher Power changed to a set of beliefs; what are those beliefs?
  2. List 2 prayers and/or affirmations that assist you in staying in contact with your God/Higher Power?
  3. What forms of meditation do you practice?
  4. Do you set aside a specific time a day that you practice this form of prayer/affirmations and meditation?
  5. Do you have a specific place where you practice prayer and meditation in your household or other locations?
  6. Plan a new activity that brings you inspiration, joy and that is uplifting, being a vacation to a new place, a retreat or 12 step convention , etc. and make it an adventure.

Tradition 11  Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

Long form Our relations with the general public should be characterized by personal anonymity. We think A.A. ought to avoid sensational advertising. Our names and pictures as A.A. members ought not be broadcast, filmed, or publicly printed. Our public relations should be guided by the principle of attraction rather than promotion. There is never a need to praise ourselves. We feel it better to let our friends recommend us.

11th Step Prayer (Prayer of St.Francis)

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace;
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.

    Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.


Concept XI: While the Trustees hold final responsibility for AA’s world service administration, they should always have the assistance of the best possible standing committees, corporate service directors, executives, staffs, and consultants. Therefore, the composition of these underlying committees and service boards, the personal qualifications of their members, the manner of their induction into service, the systems of their rotation, the way in which they are related to each other, the special rights and duties of our executives, staffs, and consultants, together with a proper basis for the financial compensation of these special workers, will always be matters for serious care and concern.





Reprinted from http://www.a-1associates.com/aa/HISTORY_PAGE/Authors.htm

A Business Man’s Recovery — William Ruddell  New Jersey Original Manuscript, p. 242 in 1st edition 1st Board Chair 11/38-2/39.

Bill Ruddell was born in 1900. According to his story in the Big Book, he first got sober in February 1937.
When the Alcoholic Foundation was established in the spring of 1938, he was appointed as a trustee. He almost immediately got drunk and was replaced by Harry Brick (“A Different Slant”)
He was underage to join the Army in WW I, but ran away from home and lied about his age to join up. It was in the Army that he started to drink.
He tried many geographic cures. Instead of coming home from Germany after the war he stayed, then took jobs in Russia, England, and back to Germany. He came home in 1924 hoping Prohibition could help him stop drinking. There he discovered the speakeasies. So, he shipped off to the Venezuela for a job in the oil fields. They soon poured him on a ship and sent him home.
He had tried doctors, hospitals, psychiatrists, rest cures, changes of scenery, etc., to try to stop drinking. He got married to a woman named Kathleen, hoping marriage would solve his problem. But even Kathleen couldn’t help.
Finally, he consulted a doctor who referred him to A.A. Bill Wilson talked to him and told him his own story, then told him to think about it for a few days. He was back to see Bill again the next day.
Dr. Bob and the twelve men and women whose stories are in this section were among the early members of A.A.’s first groups. The third edition introduces this section by saying that they all had passed away of natural causes, having maintained complete sobriety. But it is known that Marty Mann and Clarence Snyder were both still living when the third edition was published, and Marty had a later slip of which perhaps the editors of the third edition were unaware.


Are you, or do you know someone, who is: homebound, in a nursing home?  You can go to meetings on the phone!  Visit Online Intergroup at:  aa-intergroup.org.  Then click on the ‘online meetings’ box.  Then click on ‘telephone’ and find your meetings.  I was amazed to find this in the Grapevine!  There are meetings every day of the week and at all hours.

treasurer nov

As Marilyn Sees It

Dear Marilyn, I still don’t understand what Step 13 is.  You answered my question in August but I don’t get it and someone asked me to ask you again.  Tallulah

Dear Tallulah.  Well, let me try to answer it this way.  You take step 1 and add it to step 12 and that’s 13.  What that means is, my life is unmanageable and I’d LOVE to share it with you.

Dear Marilyn, I seem to raise my hand to help with any service work there is. Then I find myself overextended and don’t feel like doing it. Sometimes I just haven’t shown up.  What’s wrong with me?  Always willing.

Dear Always Willing, I love service work!  It has helped keep me sober for a long time.  Service work is important.  It also is important to those you offer to help.  Are you volunteering for too many things?  Talk to your sponsor about  your commitments and see if you need to talk about balance. If you are on a committee, they count on you to be there and actively participate.  If you volunteer to chair a meeting or pour coffee or clean up or greet, those are integral parts of that meeting.  If you serve as your group representative on a Steering Committee or as a GSR at district, please show up!  Your group is counting on you.  Sometimes things come up that we have to take care of. Be responsible. Find someone to fill in for you.  It will make you feel better and someone will be able to take the news to your meeting for you.


District 23 Meeting Notes Date: October 4, 2018



Warren W. DCM
Cliff V. Alt DCM
Kathy G Treasurer
Lori B Event Chair
Kathy O. Mini-Workshop
Craig J. Archives
Cliff V. Alt DCM
Jack C. GSR – 12×12 Sat 12:15
Lisa S. GSR – Sunday Free to Be 10am
John M. GSR – Papio 12×12
 Renee W. GSR – Wed Noonbreak Meeting
 Mike I.  GSR – CandleLight 10:10 PM
DCM (Warren W) Greetings District 23!
We are looking forward to our 29th annual Feast, Fling and Fellowship. Thank you to all those who have been involved in the planning, it should be an amazing event! I will be attending the last Area 41 meeting of the year on 10/13 and 10/14 in Columbus. As we finish out 2018, I encourage your feedback on how we can continue to grow as a district. Make sure you mark your calendars for our Holiday Chili Feed at our meeting on 12/6. Please also note that this is the first meeting with our new meeting time for 2019, which is 6:00p on the first Thursday of each month. Thank you! Warren W.
Alternate DCM (Cliff V) I am continuing to attend meetings and talk to GSR’s to verify that the District 23 groups are listed correctly at Central Office, in the Where & When, on the Area 41 website, with GSO, on the District 23’s Treasurers Report and on Chapter VI’s current list groups that meet there. I invite all GSR’s to speak to me about the group’s status, name, meeting time and place so that I can verify that these lists are up to date.
Warren and I have put together a plan to attend, all the meetings that we do not have verified, and then the rest of the District 23 meetings before the year is over.
GSR’s, if you know that your meeting is not listed properly on any of these lists, please contact me so we can get them fixed. Thank you in advance for all your help with this! I will be reaching out to the meetings I do not hear from, to verify their information, over the next couple months.
Gratefully in service, Cliff V
Treasurer (Kathy G) September Treasurers report was approved.
District Donations can be remitted to: District 23 Treasurer PO Box 27783 Ralston, NE 68127-0783
Secretary (Janine J) Sept meeting minutes were submitted electronically to all members on the contact list on September 6. Requested any updates or corrections by 9/12. Requested that the meeting minutes be published in the newsletter. September meeting minutes were approved. Please submit reports for the next district meeting to district23aa@gmail.com after your meetings so they can be added to these notes.
Events (Lori B) The Feast, Fling and Fellowship is this Saturday. The Chair people have done a great job and the FF&F will be a fun evening. Many tickets have been sold so we are expecting a good turnout. After the FF&F there will not be another event until next year’s Sponsorship and Service Workshop. Everyone can take a break for a few months before we begin planning for the workshop. Thank you for allowing me to serve, Lori B.
Newsletter (Marilyn C) 40 October newsletters were printed for the District and another 40 to be available at the Feast, Fling and Fellowship on October 6, 2018.
Someone with experience suggested I wait until after the district meeting to have the newsletter printed. I was doing it earlier so it could be distributed at the district meeting. However, I am open to suggestions. Janine sends the minutes out the day after the district meeting asking for changes to be submitted within a week’s time. If everyone could get their changes to Janine in maybe 2-3 days after she sends them out instead of a week that might work. Kathy is good about sending me the Treasurer’s report, too. That way the minutes would be the most recent and the Treasurer’s report only one month ‘late’ instead of two. My only problem is then getting the newsletters to the meetings other than Chapter VI. Maybe those meetings could have someone stop by Chapter VI and pick a couple up? I think I could have them printed by the end of the second week or beginning of the third. I could send a mass email to let everyone know when they are at Chapter VI. Thoughts, please? Thank you for letting me serve, Marilyn C.
 Webmaster (Geri S.) No Report
Institutions/Bridging the Gap (Jim R) Received and email from Amber Gigstadt the Club Coordinator at the prison in Tecumseh and she informed me that the inmates want to meet every Tuesday instead of every two weeks. Made a suggestion on our last visit that “meeting makers make it”, in or out of prison and the importance of “complete abstinence”, in or out of prison. More seeds, more fruit, right? Jim R.
Mini Workshop (Kathy O) There were 13-14 people at the last workshop. Brian B. did a wonderful job speaking. The next workshop will be held on the second Sunday of December, not the third Sunday. The date is December 9th.
Grapevine (Greg B.)
Archives (Craig J) On September 20 met at Chapter 6 along with District GSR participant (Jack) from 9:00 -11:00AM to continue sorting and organizing archive material. Collectively sorted and then disposed of duplicate documents (newsletters, flyers, other material). Also, began filing, by year, the loose papers and documents into files. Plan to then further refine specific material within each year…..such as District events, meetings and workshop info. Plan to continue Archive work during October on a date to be determined…” In Service, Craig J. Archives Chair
 Central Office (Julie F) No Report
 Hotline (Judd)

Hotline week 2018: Oct 15-21; Dec 24-30

Link to Hotline schedule: http://www.omahaaa.org/Post/sections/3/Files/Hotline%20Schedule%202018%20revised.pdf

 CPC/PI (Michele B)No report CPC/PI Didn’t meet
GSR Reports Mike asked if the 10:10 candlelight meeting at Chapter VI was registered. He will discuss with Cliff, Alt DCM.
 Old Business:
New Business: Printing of Newsletters and how to distribute based on Newsletter Chair report. Tabled to old business November 1, 2018 since Chair was unable to attend.

Kathy G., D23 Treasurer, will have the 2018 budgets at the November meeting so chairs can review/update before the December meeting. The 2019 budgets will be approved at the December meeting.

Warren is going to contact the current Webmaster Chair and Central Office Chair to see if they would like to continue in their positions. We may need to find someone to fill these positions.

Announcements: Area 41 2018 Meeting Dates: October 13-14
Ramada Columbus Hotel and Conference Center 265 33rd Ave Columbus, NE 68601

Next Meeting: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 6:30 p.m.
Trinity Methodist Church & Community Center 8009 Q St Ralston

flyers nov.PNG